The wood industry had developed in Barlinek, Poland in the 19th century. By the end of the World War II a sawmill operated in the town, connected with a carpentry shop and furniture production establishment.
Apart from this, several other sawmills were in operation. After the war they were combined in one enterprise – Wood Establishments of the State Forests in Barlinek. In the initial stage of production, sawmills processed coniferous and deciduous timber. The daily saw volume was around 3531 ft³. At that time the carpentry shop was producing furniture for institutions and schools, snow fences and compasses for measuring land.
From 1947 production was increased and expanded to include chairs, window joinery and assorted wooden items.
Until 1950 the entire production was allocated to the requirements of the construction industry, then later plain wood chairs, upholstered, soft padded, children’s, folding and deck chairs were produced, and even clasps for underwear.
From 1 January 1959, the company took on the name of Barlineckie Zakłady Przemysłu Drzewnego in Barlinek (Barlinek Wood Industry Plant), subordinated to the then Association of Sawmilling and Wood Products in Warsaw, later the Regional Wood Industry Company in Szczecin.
In 1975 the plant was transformed into the Barlineckie Przedsiębiorstwo Przemysłu Drzewnego (Barlinek Wood Industry Company).
On 1 June 1999, the Provincial Governor of Western Pomerania made the decision to directly privatise the Barlineckie Przedsiębiorstwo Przemysłu Drzewnego using the company as a contribution towards increasing the share capital of the joint-stock company Barlinek S.A.
Major recapitalisation of the company and consistent implementation of the expansion and modernisation policy led to a significant increase in production and value of sales by several hundred percent.